| Bonfield, Ontario
Between 1878 and 1881, the Central Canada Railway (CCR) was slowly constructed
westward up the Ottawa Valley to near present-day Bonfield, Ontario. Bonfield
station was originally named Callander, after the Scottish home of Mr. Duncan
McIntyre, principal financier behind the CCR.
15, 1881, the Canadian Pacific Railway was formed, with an eastern terminus
designated near the east shore of Lake Nipissing, near North Bay, although
the complete survey had not been finalized. Plans however were to begin
construction of the CPR westward from a connection with the CCR. On June
9, 1881, the CCR was absorbed by the newly-formed CPR.
Thus it was in Bonfield Township in the spring of 1882 that the eastern
division of the CPR began construction west towards Lake Nipissing and
the west coast. At a location west of the present station of Bonfield
on what is now known as the Ottawa Valley Railway’s North Bay Subdivision,
the “First Spike” in Sir John A. Macdonald's National Dream
The Canadian Railway Hall of Fame is pleased to honour the Township of Bonfield and this historic location through induction into its communities category for 2002.